Each case of dry eye is unique. Successful alleviation of symptoms can be achieved through a number of treatment options. After a thorough exam, Dr. Fung will choose the treatment options that are best for your specific needs. Treating other medical conditions such as eye lid diseaese, are often necessary to alleviate the symptoms associated with dry eyes.
Possible treatments include artificial tears, medicated eye drops, anti-inflammatory medications, punctal occlusion (a simple in-office eyelid procedure that can keep your eyes better moistened), diet modification, dry eye contact lenses and nutritional supplements. Often, a combination of treatments provides the best results.
- Artificial tears are the traditional "first-line" treatment for dry eye conditions.
- Restasis prescription anti-inflammatory helps increase your eyes’ natural ability to produce tears, which may be reduced by inflammation due to dry eye.
- Are your eyes chronically red or itchy? It could be dry eye syndrome. If over-the-counter eye drops aren’t giving you the relief you need, punctal plugs may be the answer.
- Information about eyewear to consider if you suffer from dry eyes.
- Reduce dryness and irritation by adhering to some suggested lifestyle measures.
- When conventional treatments and lifestyles changes aren't enough.